[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jul 13 16:59:01 CEST 2007

On Jul 13, 2007, at 4:04 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>>> A number of issues should be considered, of course:
>>> - there should be a way to get authoritative answers somehow,
>>> preferably
>>>   from mirrors, but, if necessary, from the main site
>>
>> I don't know what you mean.  I envision mirrors as being read-only
>> and
>> only used by setuptools. The main site would certainly be
>> authoritative.
>
> The problem is with outdated information. With a mirror, the question
> is always "is my information current". Perhaps it's ok for users of
> a mirror to use outdated information. However, when people register
> a package, then use setuptools to install it, they might be puzzled
> that it won't find the package just because it was using an outdated
> mirror.

I agree 100% with this concern, which is why I was skeptical of
caching in the classical form.

Right. So the question is, how can we keep the mirror up to date? :)

>> Yup. This might be a really nice way to go. It would be especially
>> nice
>> if a client could contact PyPI and ask for new data since a given
>> time.
>> I imagine that this request could be as cheap as the requests we have
>> now, unless a client was very out of date.
>
> PyPI already supports that: the updated_releases RPC call will return
> all packages that have changed since a given date.

Awesome!  Too bad it wasn't shown in:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopXmlRpc

I'll look at the source (location hints welcome) and update that page.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org