[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jul 12 20:43:11 CEST 2007

At 02:15 PM 7/12/2007 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>I want to make sure I understand this.  I would hope that searching
>would be case insensitive and otherwise flexible wrt names.

PyPI's searching is indeed case insensitive, and is a
substring/keyword search as well.

>   Is there
>any reason we can't expect URLs and requirement specifications to be
>precisely spelled?  That is, if someone names their package "sPaM", I
>see no reason why PyPI needs to support anything other than http://
>www.python.org/pypi/sPaM as the one URL of the package.  Someone
>should be able to use the search UI to search for "spam" and see a
>result that includes "sPaM".  From then on, they should be able to
>type the name "sPaM".  Or am I missing something?

You're missing that the subject is about similarity of names.  A typo
of say, 'SPam' shouldn't return me some package *other* than the one
I'm looking for.  It'd be nice if the resulting page said something
besides "Not Found", too...  like "there's no SPam, but here are a
bunch of packages whose name contains 'spam'".

If it did that, setuptools would be able to find the right page
without hitting the main index, too.  But redirection, as proposed by
Martin, also accomplishes the same thing.

And again, all this helps human direct users of the index, too.