[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Thu Jul 12 00:23:11 CEST 2007

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> An interesting thought for future optimization...  an XML-RPC catalog
> server designed for this use case could in fact do all the
> computation server-side, resolving dependencies and evaluating
> version constraints.

Just to remind again: PyPI has an XML-RPC interface, and has had for a long
time. It has a history of accepting any and all additional functions for that
interface.

    Richard

ps. why is it I keep on reading this undercurrent of "pypi doesn't do exactly
what we need, so let's write a new one" and not "let's just add some more
functionality to pypi so it does exactly what we need"... Is there something
written somewhere, or even implied, that PyPI is somehow a closed
development? If there is, I really need to strongly reiterate - PyPI will
*always* be completely open for new developers. Please see the wiki page
http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopDev for further information.