[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Thu Jul 12 00:11:49 CEST 2007

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> > The questions for us is, how much effort we are willing to make to
> > prevent people from shooting themselves in the foot.  I can understand
> > why Phillip would like the package index to prevent people from choosing
> > problematic package names.
>
> That's not my understanding - the issue isn't with "problematic package
> names", but with conflicting package names. IOW, any single name is
> fine - it's a pair of names that would cause a problem (and only if
> you wanted to install both packages on the same system).

A big issue that's not been raised is that *distutils* have no package name
rules, but it's being proposed that PyPI does - thus a package author will
potentially get an error when uploading their package, and also the name that
appears in the index may be quite different to the name of their package.

    Richard