[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jul 11 20:57:43 CEST 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> The .3-second times per request is *much* better than we had before
>> (I assume), but it's *not fast enough*.  The demand on the package
>> index used by setuptools is going to increase substantially.  Even if
>> setuptools only made a single request per package, .3 seconds per
>> request is too slow.  Given the current structure of the index,
>> setuptools has to make a request for the package and a request per
>> release.  For ZODB, this means about 12 requests, or more than 3
>> seconds.  Of course, this will increase over time, as more releases
>> are made.
>
> This I still don't understand. Why does it need to query all available
> releases?

The way that setuptools currently works, it scans each of the release
pages looking for distributions.  In theory, it could take the names
of these pages into account and scan fewer.  It will still have to
scan at least 2.

I have a feeling that I'll never convince you that a third of a
second is too slow.  I think I'll stop trying.  Hopefully, René, will
be able to get baking working, at which point the pages will be a lot
faster.  At that point, I think it would be good to pursue alternate
pages more optimized for setuptools to reduce the number and size of
setuptools requests.   I'll help any way I can with that.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org