[Catalog-sig] Why so many zc.buildout versions?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jul 11 07:06:59 CEST 2007

>> I have been thinking about the same thing. I think it would be good
>> to have, however, it will surely take some time until all setuptools
>> implementations learn to use it.
>
> No, not at all.  You can tell setuptools to use a different index than
> the current one.  For example, this is a command-line option for
> easy_install and a configuration option for buildout.

Yes. However, that will make the feature only available to those who
know about it. I have very shallow knowledge of setuptools and
easy_install only (I nearly never use them at all), and I surely would
miss such an option, and miss why it's relevant.

It's true that the Apache installation could also redirect existing
installations to the new pages, but I doubt that they would be otherwise
widely used until setuptools changes its hard-coded default.

>> Hmm. How about those using them extensively start contributing to
>> them also?
>
> I like to think that I am by participating in this discussion.  Actually
> changing the cheeseshop software has a very high learning curve. I don't
> think that I can make that kind of time any time soon.  I'm very
> grateful that you and René are doing what you're doing.  I also suspect
> that, given your and René's activity, it would be counter productive for
> someone else to get involved at that level, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

I strongly think you are. There are many things that could be improved,
and I would not mind leaving the cheeseshop alone if some other
maintainer came along - I also have other things to do.