[Catalog-sig] A first step at improving PyPI: the "egg" command

Bjørn Stabell bjorn at exoweb.net
Tue Aug 14 18:24:59 CEST 2007

On Aug 14, 2007, at 23:49, Michał Kwiatkowski wrote:
> On 8/14/07, Bjørn Stabell <bjorn at exoweb.net> wrote:
>> THE COMMAND LINE PACKAGE MANAGEMENT TOOL
>> The "egg" command should enable you to at least find, show info for,
>> install, and uninstall packages.  I think the most common way to do
>> command line tools like this is to offer sub-commands, a la, bzr,
>> port, svn, apt-get, gem, so I suggest:
> [snip]
>> It's still incomplete, lacking tests, might only work on unix-y
>> computers, and is lacking support for lots of features like
>> activation/deactivation, and upgrades, but it works for basic stuff
>> like finding, installing, and uninstalling packages.
>
> Please take a look at yolk (http://tools.assembla.com/yolk/), a tool
> for obtaining information about PyPI and locally installed packages.
> It's been developed for more than half a year now, so I'm sure that
> you'll find stable pieces of code there for inclusion. Maybe a merge
> would be the best thing to do? I'm CC-ing Rob Cakebread, yolk author,
> so he can voice his opinion.

I already looked at yolk (I liked it) and enstaller (only Windows, it
seems), and blogged about it at:

   http://stabell.org/2007/07/28/pypi-yolk-httplib2/

And now I just discovered there's something called PythonEggTools in
the PyPI.

I agree we should join forces.  I'm doing the egg thing because I
wanted:

  * to see how a subcommand interface would work (a la svn/gem/port/
aptitutde)
  * a cache (like apt-get) that's easily queryable (I'm in China; the
net is slow)
  * to link into easy_install/ uninstall etc so it's a comprehensive
utility

Rgds,
Bjorn