[Catalog-sig] I don't want implicit hiding of old releases

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Apr 27 03:13:40 CEST 2007

At 10:41 AM 4/27/2007 +1000, Richard Jones wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Fred Drake wrote:
> > On 4/26/07, Richard Jones <richardjones at optushome.com.au> wrote:
> > > Not currently. What would you suggest?
> >
> > Ideally, an option per package, since this has more to do with the
> > release policy for the package than any other (single) thing.
>
>Yep. Anyone else have other thoughts?
>

> > Failing
> > that, an option in the distutils "register" command.
>
>Unfortunately adding an option to the register command is not possible
>without
>patching Python itself.

Not so, actually.  Simply make a separate release of a replacement
"register" command, marked as a 'distutils.command' entry point in
setup.py.  See:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#creating-distutils-extensions

for details.

Or, if you prefer not to do it using setuptools, you can add a cmdclass
dictionary to your setup() calls, but distutils extensions can still be
distributed separately.