[Catalog-sig] What triggers treating long descriptions text as reST in PyPI?

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Thu Sep 7 14:51:52 CEST 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 21:42, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Most of my packages' long descriptions are treated as reST. For example:
>
>    http://www.python.org/pypi/zc.recipe.testrunner
>
> However, for:
>
>    http://www.python.org/pypi/zc.recipe.egg
>
> the long description was treated as plain text.
>
> What triggers treatment as reStructuredText?  Is this documented
> anywhere?

If the reStructuredText parsing fails for some reason it'll be treated as
plain text. The specific docutils settings used are:

    settings_overrides={
        'raw_enabled': '0',  # no raw HTML code
        'file_insertion_enabled': '0',  # no file/URL access
        'halt_level': 2,  # at warnings or errors, raise an exception
        'report_level': 5,  # never report problems with the reST code
        }

We pass the description through the docutils trim_docstring function (from
docutils.readers.python.moduleparser) before parsing it. This dedents as
appropriate.

     Richard