[Catalog-sig] FYI: UI change also broke EasyInstall MD5 checks :(

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jul 21 05:27:40 CEST 2006

At 10:19 AM 7/21/2006 +1000, Richard Jones wrote:

> > >Crap, sorry, I thought I'd caught all the changes, but I missed this one.
> > >I'll fix it ASAP.
> >
> > FYI, the fix doesn't work either, as there's still a title="" attribute in
> > there.  Please see the regex in the API doc.
>
>OK, I've removed the title attrs.
>
>Are we convinced that screen-scraping is bad yet?

I never argued that this particular bit was *good*.  As I said, it was
always a stopgap measure until PyPI supported a better way to retrieve the
MD5's, preferably as part of the URLs.  I don't recall that you've never
proposed any alternative, and I seem to recall that not even the XML-RPC
API offers this information.

Please note that I proposed the use of #md5 links well before I implemented
the screen scraping, and asked for feedback.  Your only feedback was to
inquire what happened in browsers, to which I replied -- and that was the
end of the thread.  What else was I supposed to do, beat you about the head
and shoulders?  At the time, you said you were busy.

However, since you now seem to have some time, maybe it would be a good
time to implement some of the things I suggested you implement a year ago
so that screen scraping wouldn't be necessary.  ;)