[Catalog-sig] "UNKNOWN" URLs being generated

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Thu Aug 31 11:17:49 CEST 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 05:48, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> When a package doesn't specify a download URL, a relative link to "UNKNOWN"
> is being generated by the PyPI web interface.
>
> This doesn't seem very useful; in particular it causes easy_install to
> retrieve an extra URL that isn't there.  (It also seems a bit odd to even
> bother displaying "unknown" fields anyway.)

My fault (well, OK, it's distutil's fault, but I can take the blame in *this*
instance). The database layer is returning unicode objects so my naive
test "isinstance(info, string) and info.strip() == 'UNKNOWN'" was now
failing.

I've fixed it, and a couple of other unicode issues. We love str vs. unicode.
Bring on Py3k!

    Richard