[Catalog-sig] PyPI enhancement doc

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Thu May 26 08:20:43 CEST 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005 07:23 am, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> It appears to be a design principle of PyPI to not use XML-RPC if
> it can be avoided. I don't know where that principle comes from,
> but I think it needs to be followed if indeed it is a principle.
>
> If there is no such principle, I think all the current forms should
> be duplicated to simplify the code in the distutils commands.

There is no such design principle :)

I just found it easier to reuse the existing HTTP/HTML form interface when
writing the "register" command. Now that people are requesting more complex
interfaces, I see no problem with using XML-RPC for them.

> > There should be a contact form attached to each package that will be
> > emailed to any people on record as owners or maintainers, for
> > reporting bad or missing links or other incorrect data.
>
> Again, contributions are welcome. We should be careful not to implement
> another issue tracker here, though, so just sending an email might be
> enough for the moment

I think that the email would be quite sufficient.

    Richard