[Catalog-sig] Table of Python Packages, updated

Richard Jones richard at commonground.com.au
Wed Mar 30 00:00:29 CEST 2005

On 29/03/2005, at 8:57 AM, Ian Bicking wrote:
> Seo Sanghyeon wrote:
>> Hello, comp.lang.python, and catalog-sig,
>> Some of you may remember my mail with the very same subject
>> last year. :-) I have continued to maintain the table, and here's
>> the updated result:
>> http://sparcs.kaist.ac.kr/~tinuviel/pypackage/list.cgi
>> 304 Python projects indexed, with links to PyPI, FreeBSD port,
>> Debian deb, Gentoo ebuild, NetBSD pkgsrc, and Fink.
>
> Wow, PyPI has really bad support.  We should really start bugging
> authors to register their packages.  I think Richard Jones was also
> thinking about quarterly postings to python-announce to remind people
> of PyPI's existance.

Yeah. Hell, the actual file upload stuff hasn't been announced. There's
been mutterings that PyPI could use a better name, and I was going to
wait until that had been settled before I made a formal announcement.

PyPI is just too anonymous and is also too easy to confuse with PyPy.
I've never been particularly happy with the name.

So, any suggestions for a new name?

     Richard