[Catalog-sig] Another project idea (oldie but a goodie)

Maurice Ling mauriceling at acm.org
Mon Jun 20 01:41:07 CEST 2005

>>The toughest part of
>>it will be to ensure that the dependencies of a module matches another
>>module in PyPI.
>>

>I don't see it this way. As far as I'm concerned, you just have to say "The
>dependencies are X, Y and Z. I can download and install X and Z but you'll
>have to find Y for yourself." Enough irate (or motivated) users later, and
>someone will upload Y to PyPI :)

 From a viewpoint of a human user, yes, that can be expected. We will in
fact expect the person to google for it if it is not in PyPI. From a
viewpoint of a tool, that may be too tricky.

Another thing in my radar is that package names may change. I was
reading an article on O'Reilly ONLamp.com, "Using PySOAP" by Cameron
Laird, written on 06/14/2001
(www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2001/06/14/pysoap.html). When reading it, I
realise that instead of PySOAP, it should be SOAPpy. Of course, I do not
know if SOAPpy was named as PySOAP back then, but you see my point......