[Catalog-sig] PyPI enhancement doc

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Fri Aug 5 04:07:57 CEST 2005

On Wed, 25 May 2005 04:36 pm, Ian Bicking wrote:
> This is an initial list of proposed methods for PyPI to support:
> search(field_specifiers, [operator='and']):
> package_releases(package_name):
> package_stable_version(package_name):
> package_urls(package_name, version):
> package_data(package_name, version):

I have implemented as per your spec except as follows:

>      All keys are required.  None/NULL is translated to ''.

Missing values are marked "UNKNOWN" at the moment. This is a hysterical oddity
introduced by the PKG-INFO format, IIRC.

>      Open issues: will emails be obscured?  Is keywords turned into a list?

No and no at the moment.

> I'm a little soft on these, since I don't know if specifiers and the
> necessary metadata is really ready:
>
> providing_packages(specifier):
>      A list of (name, version) from release_provides.  E.g.,
>      providing_packages('PageTemplate>=1.0') == [('zpt', '1.0')].  This
>      will only return non-hidden packages.
>
> requiring_packages(specifier):
>      A list of (name, version) from release_requires.

I haven't implemented these since we don't have code that handles dependency
lookup. I believe the data and implementation spec are all ready to go
though.

     Richard