[Catalog-sig] Perhaps "PyPI" will do

Adrian Likins alikins at redhat.com
Thu Apr 7 23:06:31 CEST 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 10:48:53PM +0200, holger krekel wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:11 +1000, Richard Jones wrote:
> >
> > After polling around for ideas, and looking at the various alternatives,
> > nothing really grabs me. "PyPI" captures the nature of the beast we've
> > created well-enough. It's not too silly. It's short. It's in place. I think
> > I've decided that it'll do.
>
> FWIW, i liked MOPP aka the ministry quite a bit.  I recommend
> taking the discussion to just the core contributors (e.g. on IRC)
> and see if you get somewhere.
>
> > It really is only *potentially* confusing when you're in the
> > same room as the PyPy people.
>
> I don't mind getting occasionally confused people and pointing
> them to a great project.
>
> Btw, we had some hundred postings on c.l.py before we settled
> on the name PyPy.  It's a good way to spread the word, though :-)

	Seems like it's too late, but how about "pit". As in
a snake pit? "Wheres foobar? It's in the pit".

python installable taxonomy?
python installable things?

Can't think of a good acroymn myself. But not a big fan
of "pypy". But then, I'm somewhat responsible for naming
things like "grubby" and "booty", so what do I know about
naming? ;->

Adrian`