[Catalog-sig] PyPI renaming options

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Apr 4 07:49:46 CEST 2005

Richard Jones wrote:
> - - Shrubbery
> - - MOPP (Ministry of Python Packages)
> - - Vault

"Shrubbery" doesn't mean anything to me, and I'd have a hard time using
it in a sentence.  "You can find that in the Shrubbery."  I guess I
could say "Python Shrubbery", but that hardly sounds like a *place*.  So
I don't see a whole lot going for that one.

Vault sounds like a place, but isn't distinctive enough alone -- I'd
have to call it the "Python Vault".  vault.python.org indicates this as
well, of course.  This is a fine, straight-forward term, which makes its
intent quite clear.

But I do like MOPP, which is somewhere in between the two.  It's a
distinctive term -- the only Google results for "mopp" are medical,
which we'd quickly outrank.  Though I don't know exactly how I'd use it
in a sentence.  "You can find that in the MOPP"?  That doesn't sound
quite right to me... but maybe it just takes time to become familiar.  I
can almost imagine using "Ministry" more often, like "I notice you
haven't submitted your package to the Ministry, tsk tsk".

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org