[Catalog-sig] Package/Module/Recipe Versioning, Aggregation and Distrobution

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 21 13:57:39 EDT 2004

catalog-sig at claytonbrown.net wrote:
> I have been developing a bootstrap loader to enable module/package & python interpretor versioning/specification at time of import within a script.
> This is primarily to encourage code re-use/portablility (satisfying dependancies on multiple machines & platforms), and allow revision control and coexistence of packages, a particular weak point of python in my experience (I could be just doing things wrong). I am interested now in how such versioned packages could be agregated and made avaliable through a centralised service such as PyPi/CPAN, and as to wether such functionality described below will be a spanner in the works for distrobution techniques.

Who sent this note? There has been discussion recently on the
wxPython-users list about how to support versioning of wxPython. I'd
love to hear what you've worked out. And yes, I agree this is a real
week point in Python that would be nice to address Python-wide, rather
than each package developer coming up with their own scheme.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov