[Catalog-sig] Re: [Distutils] More documentation for setup meta-data

holger krekel hpk@trillke.net
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:50:40 +0100

[Richard Jones Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 08:51:51AM +1100]
> Note that I would like to see an alternative system that is used to
> disseminate packages which uses a set of mirrors similar to CPAN. There's an
> accepted naming system so that the package may be found just using the
> package name and version, and a fatch command that attempts to download the
> package from one or more of the mirrors (depending on availability). PyPI
> then supplies a list of the mirror sites. Distutils may also offer an upload
> command, to make life even easier for the package maintainer. No need to
> maintain download urls or even download sites. The kicker with this plan is
> the provision of the bandwidth. The other elements of it are ... well,
> trivial. They could be implemented before 2.3 is released.

Maybe asking c.l.py subscribers for servers (with bandwidth)
as mirrors for such a project would help.  After all, python
distutils-packages are usually not that big.  And many people
are longing for a way to upload/download packages semi-automatically.

    holger