[Catalog-sig] New proposal, with PEP

Chris Liechti cliechti@gmx.net
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 01:18:54 +0200

Am 27.10.2002 00:54:29, schrieb Richard Jones <rjones@ekit-inc.com>:
>On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 5:37 am, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>> It would also cause the packages to break
>> on older distutils installations.
>
>That's a problem, yes. I'm not sure what the solution would be. Older packages
>run with the new code wouldn't have a problem. Newer packages run with older
>code will break on the "trove" keyword argument to setup(). I'm not sure what
>the solution would be.

how about a try... catch and a second setup method?

from distutils.core import setup
try:
	from distutils.core import extended_setup
except ImportError:
	setup(...)
else:
	extended_setup(...)

or maybe it's possible to get the distultils version? whatever, i think that solvabe
with a bit more code in the setup script. maybe not that nice 'cause the setup
script get more complicated but it would be optional to use the extened
way anyway.

chris