[Catalog-sig] [updates] PEP 301 -- Package Index and Metadata for Distutils

Richard Jones rjones@ekit-inc.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:05:37 +1100

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 2:42 pm, Chris Liechti wrote:
> i think this is a bug: "index" is greyed out in the view for the search
> results so one can't get back to the full list (except trough the browsers
> back button)

Yep, fixing that.

> why is only the version clickable and not the name of a package? i would
> find it more natural to click on the package name.

After using it a bit, I agree.

> getting the startup page seems to be a bit slow. it takes around 1s and i
> guess it will get realy worse if you add many more packets to the index and
> have many users accessing the cgi.

The query time to list a thousand entries is only fractionally longer than the
current list. Most of the current delay is the normal cgi-bin fork/exec/load
time.

> i guess displaying the whole list will
> get impractical anyway, when there are hunderts of entries...

That's correct - I expect the front page to eventually have the Trove
categories for package discovery and maybe a list of the top ten most recent
updates, and maybe in the distant future the most popular packages, and so
on...

> why is the "IP Address" in the journal? that doesn't do good. you're
> delivering numbers for attacks and for a user verification are they useless
> (dialup, DHCP, etc) just leave it away.

I'll hide it, but it can be useful sometimes to determine the origin of
information.

> and maybe there should be an option to hide the email address. i could
> think that some people don't want their address on the web (to be collected
> by search engines and spammers)

Any suggestions? I could make it a per-package option. I could alternatively
mangle the address to make it less obvious to scrapers.

> PyXML shows up twice in the index.

That's because two versions were submitted. I'll eventually look into using
the "latest stable" field to figure the version to display, and maybe the

> anyway. it looks nice.

Thanks.

    Richard