[Catalog-sig] Re: Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Nov 11)

Richard Jones rjones@ekit-inc.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:32:29 +1100

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 1:18 pm, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 05:43:26PM -0500, Erik Max Francis wrote:
> >     Richard Jones proposes PEP 301, detailing some extensions to the
> >     Distutils packaging system:
> > 	http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0301.html
>
> Hey Richard,

Hiya, I'm actually on leave at the moment, but I'll try to address these
comments ASAP.

> In the PEP, you wrote:
>
>     "The index server will return custom headers (inspired by PEP 243)
> which the register command will use to give feedback to the user:"
>
> It is Not Good to return status in headers like that. The HTTP Status Line
> should be used. I said the same thing about PEP 243, but the author of that
> PEP blew me off and did not include my commentary in the PEP (which a PEP
> is supposed to do: list all commentary and views so that you get the
> various angles and don't have to revisit the same crap over and over).
>
> See my post to the distutils-sig:
>
>   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2001-March/002262.html

I'll definitely take your comments on board. I'll read up on the full range of
HTTP response codes and see how they apply to this situation.

     Richard