[Catalog-sig] RFC: PEP 243: Module Repository Upload Mechanism

Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:23:29 +0200

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 08:21:43AM +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> >packages. When you have a binary package, it is already tailored for a
> >specific system, so there is no need to detect capabilities at
> >installation time.
>
> Sure there is...  If you have half a dozen binary packages, how do you
> determine the one that was built against the set of capabilities that your
> system supports?

If it's half a dozen, you take the one that matches your operating
system name and version; for Linux, you probably use the distribution
name, if it offers that much choice.

I think it is unrealistic that people will build binary Python
packages with and without LFS support, or produce other variants based
on capabilities that can be detected at compilation time. I find that
it is extremely time-consuming to produce two binary packages (Redhat
and W2k); I doubt that we'll have 6 binary packages available for many
packages.

Does CPAN even have the notion of binary packages?