[Catalog-sig] RFC: PEP 243: Module Repository Upload Mechanism

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 02:01:49 -0700

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 08:55:57PM -0500, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
>The developer, at least according to PEP 241 as it currently stands,
>can only provide high-level platform info, not low-level details like

Indeed.  That's why it's listed as being for binary distributions only.
It'll have to be pulled either from the system or the user at the time of
binary build.  This issue doesn't have to be resolved right now though
because most of what I want to see uploaded initially is source
distributions.  Once we have the experience of cataloging and distributing
the source distributions, we'll be in a better position to handle the
binary issues.

>I do want to get BDFL go-ahead before checking in any PEP 243 changes,
>though, and if Guido says no, that would settle it.  PEP 241 is a
>must-have for 2.1, IMHO, and he assented to it at IPC9, but 243 is
>more of a "wouldn't it be nice if...", and if that's considered too
>risky for 2.1b2, that's fine with me.

I'm firmly convinced that the upload tool is a necessary part of getting
the data we require for the cataloging.  If we can't get it in to 2.1, I'll
make it standalone.  While reduce the accessability of it to the
developers, it will hopefully give it the maturity it needs to get into
Distutils for 2.2.

So, we define "sdist --submit", but not "bdist --submit" at the moment,
defer the platform issue until 2.2, and in the mean time we hopefully get
a serious start to the cataloging server.

Sean
--
 Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves
 on a rainy Sunday afternoon.                -- Heinlein