[Catalog-sig] [Announce] Distutils Catalog Prototype

Robin Dunn robin@alldunn.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:57:26 -0800

> Robin Dunn wrote:
>
> > >   * Executing setup.py to find meta-data is insecure. Plus I've found
> > > that many existing distutils archives don't actually expose the
> > > meta-data very well this way. I propose that we fix this by having
> > > distutils write a meta-data file when you build an archive.
> >
> > This sounds like a good idea.  It would probably be useful for other
things
> > as well.
>
> Once we get agreement that a meta-data file is needed then we can begin
> the horrific task if figuring out what format it should be in ;-)

Well as long as there's a utility function in distutils somewhere to read it
and populate a dictionary or an instance of some DistMetaData class then it
doesn't matter what format it's stored in, right?  ;-)

> Error Type: RuntimeError
> Error Value: 'distutils.core.setup()' was never called -- perhaps
> '/var/tmp/@11142.3/bsddb3-3.0b3/setup.py' is not a Distutils setup
> script?

> RuntimeError: (see above)
>
> Sure enough, when I fire up the interpreter and try to manually use
> distutils.core.run_setup on your archive I get the same error. But your
> setup.py looks good. My guess is that this is a distutils error...

It does a sys.exit if it can't find a BerkeleyDB library.  I imagine that is
not a very good thing to do when trying to extract meta data this way...

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman