[Catalog-sig] SIG status - Siphon name

Francois Granger fgranger@altern.org
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:06:14 +0100

At 12:01 -0500 on 24/02/01, in message Catalog-sig digest, Vol 1 #12
- 3 msgs, you wrote:

>I'm not sure of the etymology of Siphon anyway.  Any clues?

Seems to be the same word in french.

 From Latin sipho and greek siphon

Tube for moving liquid from a level to a lower level throught an upper level.
Tube with an S shape under lavatory to avoid smelling.

(sorry for my bad english, even with the help of Harrap's ;-)

--
"Faites des phrases courtes. Un sujet, un verbe, un complément. Quand
vous voudrez ajouter un adjectif, vous viendrez me voir." - Georges