[Catalog-sig] metadata

Mats Wichmann mats@laplaza.org
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:08:04 -0400

At 11:39 AM 8/31/2001 -0700, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
 >I've started work on a fourth catalog implementation.
 >I've had a few questions/comments, i wanted to send to
 >the list to resolve regarding metadata.

I have a sort of meta-comment which is that recent
experiences with "rpm" packages suggests caution is
needed. I have have a whole host of problems arising
from rpm or rpm authors getting too ambitious with
putting information into the packages, and thus ending
up with dependencies that are not needed:  MUST have
zot-1.30 except that if you were to try against
1.29, 1.28 or 1.27 it would work fine: zot may be
a dependency but the listed version is not.