[Catalog-sig] First cut at metadata

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:39:38 -0500

> > Supported Platforms
>
> Should we give a fixed set of choices, or a free form field?  The
> problem with a fixed set of choices is that there are lots of subtle
> variations, e.g. do you present Windows as a choice or Win95, Win98,
> WinNT, Win2000, WinME.  Ditto Unix or Linux or Red Hat Linux or Red
> Hat Linux 6.1?  The problem with free form is that it's hard to use in
> a search (e.g. for many people Unix and Linux are synomyms).

I think we should have a fixed set of choices. When we get to the point
of having a platform specific-websearch, it will make life a lot easier.

Then there's also the issue of binary vs. source for those packages that
have C code.

Can we take any design guidance from RPM as well as CPAN?

Although we don't need to get that sophisticated to start with, I think its
worthwhile having the basic information that could support that in the
future.

So, for example on dependencies, couldn't a package just point to other
packages in the system by "id". And have an option for "external
package" with some kind of human readable text field that describes it.

This way if we ever get automated download of packages with depends,
most things will work automatically unless you download a package
with an "external" dependency. At which point human intervention is
required.

Also, if you get a dependant package that doesn't support your platform,
it won't download either.

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
netmeeting: ils://ils.murkworks.com               AOL-IM: BKClements