[Canberra-PUG] Python as a teaching language

Ivan Hanigan Ivan.Hanigan at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 18 06:36:43 CEST 2012

Hi,
On a kind-of related topic, I would like to know more about how python is used for programming statistical data analyses.
Obviously year 8/9/10 students don't get much further than normal linear regression but once you get beyond that you find that modern statistics is almost as much about programming as it is about probability and maths.
Currently I use the R language because it is used extensively in statistics.  However I keep hearing there is great potential for python to be used.
Unfortunately I have only seen lukewarm reactions to python as a tool for frequentist and bayesian statistics, it seems like all the action is in machine learning and data mining (which I don't do).
Is that a fair assessment?  I'd love it if a demo could be arranged where someone with experience could show how python programming applies to the statistics domain.

As an example of the kind of comparison I am after I have copied from this thread  http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/1595/python-as-a-statistics-workbench
http://stats.stackexchange.com/a/16961

"R has a better syntax for data analysis. Consider the following basic example:"

Python:

results = sm.OLS(y, X).fit()

R:

results <- lm(y ~ x1 + x2 + x3, data=A)

"What do you consider more expressive? In R, you can think in terms of variables, and can easily extend a model, to, say,"

lm(y ~ x1 + x2 + x3 + x2:x3, data=A)

"Compared to R, Python is a low-level language for model building."

Cheers,

Ivan