[Bundle-sponsorship-wg] International PyCon Prospectus

M.-A. Lemburg mal at python.org
Fri Mar 11 14:12:16 EST 2016

On 11.03.2016 16:18, Betsy Waliszewski wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:36 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at python.org> wrote:
>
>> On 11.03.2016 00:38, Betsy Waliszewski wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've been working closely with the EuroPython designer on a redesign of
>> our
>>> prospectus. I think it's finally ready for the team to take a look. There
>>> are still a few tweaks that need to happen, but it looks pretty good, I
>>> think.
>>
>> Very nice indeed :-)
>>
>>> Unfortunately, we did not get any takers from the initial round of
>> emails,
>>> but that was before we had this nifty new design. I would also like to
>>> revisit offering a discount, as that was a comment I received from Red
>> Hat.
>>>
>>> Let me know what you think.
>>
>> What kind of discount are you referring to ?
>>

> It's in the original prospectus that you all worked on before I came on
> board.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l2U25lOGOKg5Zrt-UT7KJo9TnhIMAbRd9WEPn1_nA_I/edit#heading=h.e5asua79fjr8
>
> There was mention of a discount on the *program administration fees* if a
> company signed up for all of the events. That's the only discount we can
> offer, unless we want to offer a discount on PyCon US.
>
> The comment I got was "why should we sign up with the PSF and pay 15% more
> when we can sign up on our own." Apparently, the offer to manage the
> initial paperwork isn't enough to motivate a company signing up :-(.
>
> Maybe we need to rethink what the value is of what we have to offer.

Well, ask them whether they are up to finding, reaching out to,
signing up, and (most importantly) adding 10+ different conference
organizers to their procurement systems :-) (oh, and if they still
don't buy it, mention that they'll have to deal with orgs and
VAT in 10+ different countries)

Instead they just have to deal with a single billing partner:
the PSF, registered in the US, and we'll take of the rest.

The 15% admin fee is well worth the reduced overhead they
will have on their side. In fact, it will probably not fully
cover our costs; and we don't have to set up procurement
systems for those conferences.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Director