[Borgbackup] Borg 2 - CLI Initial Impressions

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Sun May 5 14:09:53 EDT 2024

> I've been testing borg 2.0.0b8 (my first time with borg 2) and noticed
> the absence of the quintessential ASCII Summary Table when using
> --stats.

These are the reasons why some of the stats stuff is different now:

- in general, updating the precise stats in borg is quite a pain. it's
everywhere in the code and often it is in the way of easy changes /
improvements of the code.

- at some places, borg had lists or hashes containing (chunk id, chunk
size, chunk csize) information. i had to drop the "csize" (compressed
size of a chunk) because it also was in the way - e.g. of easy,
repo-wide recompression without having to update the csize information
at all the places where it was stored.

- borg was often giving somehow unrelated infos. e.g. if you created an
archive, it also gave you global repo-wide stats and not just the stats
of the archive you just created. if that can be done quick, it's nice,
but if it is slow (e.g. if it is a big repo, with lots of archives), it
can be an unnecessary pain.

> One final thing. I understand that compression reporting for a
> particular archive can be misleading, but why isn't there a "Compressed
> Size" item for the repository as a whole when doing "rinfo"? I could
> only infer it by looking at the "Storage quota," which kept me wondering.

Likely that was also dropped due to the csize removal.

--
GPG Fingerprint: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747  B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393