[Borgbackup] Full repository check, errors found: Index object count mismatch.

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Fri Apr 19 16:14:34 EDT 2024

> SUGGESTION 1:
>
> * the borg check -repair function ends in my case with:
>
>     1 orphaned objects found!
>     Archive consistency check complete, problems found.
>     (see below)
>

> Here I suggest in cases like mine - when check -repair actually repaired
> something - to add saying "*and repaired 1 problem"*
>
>     1 orphaned objects found.
>     Archive consistency check complete, problems found*and repaired 1
>     problem.*

Good idea, can you file a github issue?

> SUGGESTION 2:
>
> In borgbackup >= 1.2.6 add a text explaining the most like reason and fix
> *"check information on
> https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/1.2.7/changes.html#pre-1-2-5-archives-spoofing-vulnerability-cve-2023-36811"*
>
> for error message
> 2024-04-18 20:20:17,066 - vorta.borg.borg_job - ERROR - Index object
> count mismatch.

It's not like the CVE issue and the object count mismatch are related.

I just pointed out you must follow the repo upgrade steps first because
otherwise borg might consider some archives without a valid tam as crap
and would DELETE them.

Archives without a valid tam may exist in old repos due to:
- a bug in older borg versions, especially in borg rename and recreate.
- an attack by a malicious entity

(see the upgrade notes for more details)

--

GPG Fingerprint: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747  B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393
Encrypted E-Mail is preferred / Verschluesselte E-Mail wird bevorzugt.