[Borgbackup] I accidentally pushed /home/$USER/.config/borg into public git repo. Big security risk?

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Sat Sep 30 08:42:47 EDT 2023

> I accidentally pushed /home/$USER/.config/borg into public git repo. Is
> it a big security risk?
>
> But nobody has the passphrase.

If you have a good passphrase, i don't think it's a big risk.

The keys in borg/keys/... are AES enrypted using a key derived from your
passphrase.

So, your security is now "having the passphrase" kind of security,
similar as if you used repokey mode (which stores the key in the repo
config).

--

GPG Fingerprint: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747  B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393