[Borgbackup] 2.0.0b6 apparent bug with backslashes in path

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Mon Jun 26 13:29:55 EDT 2023

> First observation was that b6 client with b4 server wasn't working
> nicely at all. Probably to be expected though.

Yes, there is no compatibility assertion between betas (nor any
beta-to-beta repo upgrade procedure).

And considering that 2.0 will be a breaking release, I try to do all
breaking changes for that release. So obviously stuff breaks more
frequently between betas also.

>  > ValueError: unexpected backslash(es) in path
> 'usr/lib/systemd/system/system-systemd\\x2dcryptsetup.slice'
>
> Sorry if that's a known issue.

It's known and will be fixed in b7, see issue tracker / git history.

I assumed that backslashes could only come from some processing error on
windows (archived paths on windows should be "normalized" and look like
windows/system32/something rather, no backslashes, no drive letters).

I didn't expect anyone uses backslashes on POSIX OSes like Linux, but
obviously I was wrong with that.

> shock  File "borg/helpers/fs.py", line 233, in make_path_safe
> shock ValueError: unexpected backslash(es) in path
> 'usr/lib/systemd/system/system-systemd\\x2dcryptsetup.slice'

If you can edit the .py files, you can also just remove the backslash
related check there.