[Borgbackup] recommended check option

Boris Kirkorowicz bkborg at kirk.de
Wed May 10 11:40:24 EDT 2023

Hello,

Am 10.05.23 um 16:41 schrieb Thomas Waldmann:
> Wow, that took long.

Just 11.6 TB of compressed and deduplicated data (source data is about
17.2 TB, ratio ~68%). Disks (both, productive and backup disks) are
mounted via 10GB ethernet line. It became slower day by day, and at he
end if the time borg runs was too short (less than 3 hours continuously)
the amount of backed up data was even negative.

> Interrupted backup (connection issue, transport endpoint not connected):
> just start borg create again and again in the same way. It won't
> transmit the data again which it already has in the repo. For this, a
> "borg check" is not needed.

But what about the lock and the error messages? Should both disappear
after some borg create runs?

> I/O Error: fs or storage device malfunctioning, if you have access, run
> a SMART long test on the disks and check the SMART status/logs (smartctl).

It is on a Synology box. I just started scrubbing ("Datenbereinigung" in
german) and a S.M.A.R.T. long test. Additionally, it offers an IronWolf
Health check. Usually, scrubbing runs every 6 months, S.M.A.R.T. and
IronWolf Health monthly. I'll quote if any errors are reported.

--
Mit freundlichem Gruß                                 Best regards
                                  Kirkorowicz