[Borgbackup] A small compression test

Bzzzz lazyvirus at gmx.com
Thu Mar 2 18:21:55 EST 2023

Hi folks,

I was reviewing old posts from this ML and found an answer about a disk
that have had problems which trashed a BB repo from Thomas Waldmann, in
which he was telling me than the 'zlib' compression type was too old for
modern machines.

Spoiler: he was right.

As I had a bit of free time, I made some manual tests with programs
available from the command line - as for any test, they're worth… what
it's worth ;-p)

They were conducted on a piece of an old XP 32 bit 13 GB VM file which
was truncated to it's first 1.3 GB (IIRC, there's a lot of things in
the beginning of an m$ "product").

So, if this ML accepts attachments (?) and that may help somebody to
make a choice, here they are.

Jean-Yves