[Borgbackup] Subject: Re: FW: Local backup media file system corrupt. Best way to recover?

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Tue Nov 8 13:31:57 EST 2022

>> BTW, borg2 will fix the AES-CTR mode issues by not using AES-CTR
>> any more, so things will get a bit easier. E.g. you will be able to
>> use "borg transfer" to efficiently transfer an archive from one repo to another related repo.
>
> But what about the concrete off-site backup use-case? BORG is used to
> init two repos at two different placves, backups are more or less
> always done to both different repos one after another. One of the
> repos gets damaged for any reason and is lost.
>
> the best in this case would really be to copy the leftover repo to the
> other place and reuse it as-is.

There is no code yet to do that with borg2, but at least we do not have
the crypto issue there (no aes-ctr, new session keys per backup, no
counter to manage long term).

So guess one would only need to change the repo-id to have separate
cache/config storage.

> Transferring individual archives might
> be far more difficult especially with repos with lots of archives and
> if one knows that all of the repo is wanted in the end.

As it is now, "borg2 transfer" copies all archives to the target repo
(by default).

If you copy the whole repo, you also get all archives, but you can't
"mix" anything.