[Borgbackup] Fail to run

Bzzzz lazyvirus at gmx.com
Mon Aug 29 14:42:35 EDT 2022

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 20:10:25 +0200
Thomas Waldmann <tw at waldmann-edv.de> wrote:

> > After a fresh pip3 install borgbackup (v.1.2.2),
> > it fails on a brand
> > new repo with these messages :
> > get_free_nonce return int.from_bytes(unhexlify(fd.read()),
> > byteorder='big') binascii.Error: Non-hexadecimal digit found
>
> That means that there is crap in the .../repo_dir/nonce file.
>
> If that is for a brand new repo, the stability / integrity of that
> system / filesystem / disk is questionable.

There was indeed some errors now corrected.

It also seems there was a confusion between python3.x into
/usr/local/lib.

I finally solved it removing old pip3 installations and returned to BB
from the debian pkg (1.1.16), backups are running ok at this time.
Next stable branch, I think I'll install it from scratch for a clean
system.

> > ['/usr/local/bin/borg', 'create', '--verbose',
> > '--exclude-caches', '--show-rc', '--warning',
>
> --verbose is the same as --info (because the default is --warning).
>
> you also give --warning, so that is a contradiction.

Thanks, corrected to --info.

> > '--chunker-params', '16,23,16,4095',
>
> That creates relatively many small chunks.

I have several big VM images on this machine, this is to avoid very
large chunks that takes long to backup with the original values.

> > '--compression', 'auto,zlib,6',
>
> zstd is more modern.

This is because the script's almost the same on every machine,
including those with an i386 CPU (tests have shown using zstd was
speeding down backups on those).

> > Repository hints file missing or corrupted, trying to recover:
>
> Usually that does not go missing nor gets corrupted. System stability?

Wild guess: due to the same mix that had stuck backups.

> > '--checkpoint-interval', '600'
>
> Don't go too low with that or at some point you will have more
> startup/checkpointing overhead than time to actually back up files.

Yup, this came after several tests (mostly to avoid losing a whole
backup when I forget to update the system before).

Thanks for your comments Thomas.

Jean-Yves