[Borgbackup] ACLs not preserved

ralph strebbing blackbirdralph at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 10:37:43 EST 2022

https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/deployment/pull-backup.html#ssh-agent

> Also give the path of the files you back up (and you have issues with)
> and show the "mount" output at the time when borg create is running.
I'm backing up `/storage/netfiles/testfolder` and the repo directory
is located in `/root/repo`
I'm mounting to `/tmp/testRepo` using the following command `borg
mount ./repo::filesrv1_2-23-2022 /tmp/testRepo`

> As far as I am aware, borg by default will back up ACLs presented by the
> file system you back up. You can disable that by using --no-acls (not
> sure about --no-xattrs).
I want all xattrs and acls backed up, so none of these options are
included in my backup command (listed below)
(   eval $(ssh-agent) > /dev/null;   ssh-add -q
~/.ssh/borg-client_key; ssh -A -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no
root at filesrv1 "borg --rsh 'ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no' create
--list ssh://root@borg-test/~/repo::filesrv1
_2-23-2022 /storage/netfiles/testfolder";   kill "${SSH_AGENT_PID}"; )

Note the above command is not exactly what's on the docs linked, as
that is from my most recent attempt, being without encryption.

> If the file system you back up does not support ACLs, borg won't see them.
All systems we're backing up have acl support, they are all running
Ubuntu and if it's not explicitly set in the mounting options, it's
mounted with ACLs by default as modern Ubuntu does now.

> Is that a regression / did that work with 1.1.x?
No, the first try I did was using the default version in the ubuntu
repos, which was 1.1.11, and I was seeing the same issue.

> Also, it would be good if you could reproduce with the normal push mode.
I just gave it a shot on push mode, and both mount and extract show
the same issue.