[Borgbackup] tag A or U when files are updated ?

Thorsten Schöning tschoening at am-soft.de
Thu Sep 2 09:48:48 EDT 2021

Guten Tag Ernest Chiarello,
am Donnerstag, 2. September 2021 um 15:08 schrieben Sie:

> but I don't see how to avoid this type of problem when saving large
> files from time to time (qcow2 images)... 😕

Things depend on if you ONLY store the large failes additionally and
never more current smaller ones as well. For most backup purposes this
is not the case, as some smaller files will most likely be available,
not only large images. If it's different in your case, you simply need
to make sure by creating some small dummy file to "trick" BorgBackup.

I did exactly that e.g. for VMs which I archive and don't change
anymore: VM-images are at timestamp X, dummy file is at timestamp X+1,
so no problem ever. If VM-images would change at some point again, one
would simply touch the dummy file again so that it's newer and things
work as before. My dummy fille even simply contains the content of the
linked FAQ, so that I always know why it's there. :-)

If you want to make things easier to use, I can suggest BorgMatic.
That allows you to have everythign in yome YAML-config and
additionally provides hooks being executed before the backup. Those
hooks can simply be used to touch your dummy file always.

> hooks:
>     # Custom preparation scripts to run.
>     before_backup:
>         - prepare-for-backup.sh

https://torsion.org/borgmatic/

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Thorsten Schöning

--
AM-SoFT IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH
Mitglied der Bitstore Gruppe - Ihr Full-Service-Dienstleister für IT und TK

E-Mail: Thorsten.Schoening at AM-SoFT.de
Web:    http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Tel:   05151-  9468- 0
Tel:   05151-  9468-55
Fax:   05151-  9468-88
Mobil:  0178-8 9468-04

AM-SoFT IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH, Brandenburger Str. 7c, 31789 Hameln
AG Hannover HRB 221853 - Geschäftsführer: Janine Galonska