[Borgbackup] BorgBackup Cache Not Regenerating

Thorsten Schöning tschoening at am-soft.de
Sat Aug 21 16:51:34 EDT 2021

Guten Tag Richard,
am Samstag, 21. August 2021 um 20:24 schrieben Sie:

> On the 2nd system BorgBackup (again run as root) never seems to generate
> a cache in ~/.cache/borg.  I do not see any errors in the BorgBackup
> output.  Any idea why?

Increase log level to see if Borg doesn't do things without running
into any warning or error condition.

https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/usage/general.html#logging

Besides that: How do you remount or whatever ~/.cache exactly? There
might be some chicken-egg-probelm with when you execute Borg. Is
~/.cache created ever at all for the user for which Borg doesn't seem
to create it? Is that directory maybe availble in the default file
system instead of youre expected TMPFS?

> Is there some setting to tell Borg where to put
> it's cache?

Have a look at the environment variables:

https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/usage/general.html#environment-variables

> I am using a script to launch borg based on a sample in the
> documentation.  Here is part of my borg create script:

Just for your interest, as I'm new to Borg as well and found the
following pretty interesting/useful to avoid custom scripts for
execution itself.

https://torsion.org/borgmatic/

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Thorsten Schöning

--
AM-SoFT IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH
Mitglied der Bitstore Gruppe - Ihr Full-Service-Dienstleister für IT und TK

E-Mail: Thorsten.Schoening at AM-SoFT.de
Web:    http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Tel:   05151-  9468- 0
Tel:   05151-  9468-55
Fax:   05151-  9468-88
Mobil:  0178-8 9468-04

AM-SoFT IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH, Brandenburger Str. 7c, 31789 Hameln
AG Hannover HRB 221853 - Geschäftsführer: Janine Galonska