[Borgbackup] (no subject)

Mason Schmitt mason at ftlcomputing.com
Mon Jul 26 14:53:21 EDT 2021

Hi Thorsten,

On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 at 11:27, Thorsten Schöning <tschoening at am-soft.de>
wrote:

> Guten Tag Mason Schmitt via Borgbackup,
> am Montag, 26. Juli 2021 um 20:10 schrieben Sie:
>
> > I had seen a single badblock report for the USB drive, so I replaced the
> > USB backup drive and initialized a new borg repo and things seemed to be
> ok
> > for two weeks.
>
> > As an aside - I ran badblocks against the old USB drive and it didn't
> find
> > any issues with the drive.
>
> What file system do you use on USB, something with it's own checksums
> like BTRFS or ZFS? That might help to further recognize a hardware vs.
> software related problem.

I'm currently using EXT4.  CentOS 7 doesn't support ZFS and I've been
watching BTRFS for years now and it just never seems ready for general
production use, so EXT4 seemed like a good fit for a backup drive.

Depending on how exactly your USB device
> works, remember that cables, controllers etc. can easily break as
> well, not only drives within their enclosures, but really the
> enclosures themself.
>
> Besides that, in theory you need to even look at the USB controllers,
> the interfaces being part of the data path to USB etc. within your
> server. Each of those components might simply be damaged for any
> reason.

Yes, I had considered that it might not be the drive or cable (I've already
replaced the cable too), but rather something on the motherboard.

Do these suggestions imply that the only reasonable answer is that I do
have a hardware problem?

> But if I was you, I would start with the file system if that
> is not already checksumming to see if it barks as well when borg does.

I might try BTRFS on this particular backup drive, just to see what
happens.  Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Mason