[Borgbackup] NLUUG vEvent :: 2021-07-15 20:30 CET :: Thomas Waldmann: "Borg Backup 2/2: You will be assimilated"

gasmit at xs4all.nl gasmit at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 12 08:44:31 EDT 2021

s/Conferences/vEvents/g

Hello,

Due to circumstances, the NLUUG organized some virtual events.

In the next one, Thomas speaks English,
so you might like to attend his presentation, next Thursday.

Abstract:

BorgBackup (short: Borg) is a deduplicating backup program. Optionally,
it supports compression and authenticated encryption.

This vEvent will be about BorgBackup's algorithms, data structures,
administration and optimization, ...

Also, I'll cover some FAQs that usually come up when practically using
borg.

Note:
After the introductory talk in the last meetup, I'll go a bit deeper
this time.

If you did not use borg yet and if you didn't attend the last talk either,
it is recommended that you have a look at borgbackup.org and maybe do
some own experiments as a preparation.

About the speaker:

*1966

My interest in IT started with programmable calculators (Ti, Casio Basic),
then had C64 + tape drive (Basic, Assembler, Pascal), Atari ST (Logo,
Assembler, C, Prolog, ...), Transputer (Occam), i386 (C under DOS+Win31,
what a pain), then OS/2 (finally: a real OS and 32bits, C/C++, REXX),
then to Linux (C/C++, Python, shell, ...).

Trying to avoid Windows. :-)

I studied CS ("Diplom Informatiker"), focus hardware and computational
linguistics at University of Stuttgart and am running my own small IT
company since then with my brother.

My focus nowadays is on Linux, Servers, Hardware, developing SW, usually
in Python and for FOSS projects, like e.g.: BorgBackup, MoinMoin Wiki,
bepasty, nsupdate-dot-info, xstatic, ...

When: Thursday July 15. 2021
Agenda:
19:30 Doors open @ https://meet.nluug.nl/b/nlu-wpg-sgj
20:30 Opening
20:35 Presentation
21:20 Questions
22:00 Closing

Here you can test your equipment:
https://nl.webcamtests.com/
https://nl.mictests.com/
You do not need those to participate.

A recording of the vEvent will be made available, see nluug.nl/vEvents

CU next Thursday!

With kind regards,
The people of the NLUUG

--
Gerrit A. Smit
NLUUG program committee

The NLUUG unites professonal users of
Opens Systems and Open Standards in the Netherlands