[Borgbackup] What's the least amount of data necessary to access repos?

Thorsten Schöning tschoening at am-soft.de
Sat Jul 10 09:04:45 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,

I've currently setup some borg repos using the "keyfile" encryption
method. From my understanding this forces me to maintain the used
password during "init" AND additionally the generated keyfiles to be
able to access the repo.

I've chosen this because from my understanding it's the most secure
setup one can have. OTOH, in case of switched backup hosts or alike,
this setup is a bit more difficult to restore: While borg asks for
passwords in the easiest case, the key files need to be made available
at some special location, with the correct name etc. Not that of a big
deal, though, but I'm thinking about if I really want this or not.

Am I correct that with a setup like "repokey" the only thing I would
need to keep is the password? Nothing else from the user profile
executing backups and created by borg automatically?

Or am I missing something and some additional data would always be
required as well? In that case "keyfile" might not make much
difference anymore.

Thanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Thorsten Schöning

--
AM-SoFT IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH
Mitglied der Bitstore Gruppe - Ihr Full-Service-Dienstleister für IT und TK

E-Mail: Thorsten.Schoening at AM-SoFT.de
Web:    http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Tel:   05151-  9468- 0
Tel:   05151-  9468-55
Fax:   05151-  9468-88
Mobil:  0178-8 9468-04

AM-SoFT IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH, Brandenburger Str. 7c, 31789 Hameln
AG Hannover HRB 221853 - Geschäftsführer: Janine Galonska

Für Rückfragen stehe ich Ihnen sehr gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Thorsten Schöning

Tel: 05151 9468 0
Fax: 05151 9468 88
Mobil:
Webseite: https://www.am-soft.de

AM-Soft IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH i.G. ist ein Mitglied der Bitstore Gruppe - Ihr Full-Service-Dienstleister für IT und TK

AM-Soft IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH i.G.
Brandenburger Str. 7c
31789 Hameln
Tel: 05151 9468 0

Bitstore IT-Consulting GmbH
Zentrale - Berlin Lichtenberg
Frankfurter Allee 285
10317 Berlin
Tel: 030 453 087 80

CBS IT-Service - Bitstore Kaulsdorf UG
Tel: 030 453 087 880 1

Büro Dallgow-Döberitz
Tel: 03322 507 020

Büro Kloster Lehnin
Tel: 033207 566 530

PCE IT-Service - Bitstore Darmstadt UG
Darmstadt
Tel: 06151 392 973 0

Büro Neuruppin
Tel: 033932 606 090

ACI EDV Systemhaus - Bitstore Dresden GmbH
Dresden
Tel: 0351 254 410

Das Systemhaus - Bitstore Magdeburg GmbH
Magdeburg
Tel: 0391 636 651 0

Allerdata.IT - Bitstore Wittenberg GmbH
Wittenberg
Tel: 03491 876 735 7

Büro Liebenwalde
Tel: 033054 810 00

HSA - das Büro - Bitstore Altenburg UG
Altenburg
Tel: 0344 784 390 97

Bitstore IT – Consulting GmbH
NL Piesteritz
Piesteritz
Tel: 03491 644 868 6

Solltec IT-Services - Bitstore Braunschweig UG
Braunschweig
Tel: 0531 206 068 0

MF Computer Service - Bitstore Gütersloh GmbH
Gütersloh
Tel: 05245 920 809 3

Firmensitz: AM-Soft IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH i.G. , Brandenburger Str. 7c , 31789 Hameln
Geschäftsführer Janine Galonska