[Borgbackup] Does anyone backup VMs using private Linux VM-bridges with SSHFS?

Heiko Helmle heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Wed Jul 7 04:34:36 EDT 2021

Hi Thorsten,

from my experience with proxmox and borg in particular:

your biggest challenge is probably the large amount of data to parse by borg on every backup (basic proxmox backups are always-full), and the fact that borg is single-threaded. This blew up our single-job backup process to last about 10 hours every day. As it only takes up a single CPU, impact is minimal, but your backup process taking that long might be unexpected.

So if you want to go borg, consider running several jobs in parallel (to different repos then). I'd seriously look into proxmox backup server though, as it allows proxmox to do true incremental backups and greatly decreases the amount of data that gets moved around.

Also be aware that the default chunker settings result in almost no deduplication with the proxmox archive format. I had good results with --chunker-params 16,23,16,4095, but you definitely need a few test runs to find the values that fit your workload.

Best Regards
 Heiko