[Borgbackup] Can't figure out why files are being detected as modified (files created by backintime)

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Mon May 10 08:37:45 EDT 2021

> I have a folder created with backups created by backintime. I am now
> trying to back this up to another disk. Every time I run the backup borg
> detects all files as modified and reads them. The deduplication avoids
> writing new data but it still reads 500GB every time I run borg.
>
> I have set  "-files-cache mtime,size" bit it still detects all files as
> changed. Are there any other properties that make borg think a file may
> have been changed?

Did you check the FAQ about this?

In your case (--files-cache=mtime,size), only this is relevant:
- mtime
- size
- full absolute path of the file

Also, when changing --files-cache type, you always need to do >= 2
backups to see whether it works.

If you have a lot of different backup sets, BORG_FILES_CACHE_TTL might
be relevant (if the default is too low for your use case).

If you use BORG_FILES_CACHE_SUFFIX badly, that could also make it
malfunction.

 From borg 1.1.16 changelog entry:

verbose files cache logging via –debug-topic=files_cache, #5659.

Use this if you suspect that borg does not detect unmodified files as
expected.

--
GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393