[Borgbackup] delete data from an archive?

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Mon May 10 08:26:31 EDT 2021

> Is it possible to delete data from an archive? - I am running out of
> space on the hard drive I am using for offline backups and would like to
> remove some rather large directories ()~200Gb or so) within the archive
> that are effectively duplicated data, just not in a form that borgbackup
> de-duplicates.

"borg recreate --exclude" or "--pattern" can do that, but it requires
some free space.

be very careful with this (do "--dry-run --list" first) as this could
unintentionally remove data you wanted to keep, IF you specify wrong
exclude patterns.

> The only way I can see to do this is to export, delete then run
> borgbackup on it again which will take many days to do - is there
> another way?

yes, recreate. it will still take quite some time.

--
GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393