[Borgbackup] Disaster Recovery or backup of backup

Oliver Hoffmann oh at dom.de
Fri May 7 10:18:02 EDT 2021

Hi all,

I use borg for quite a while now and it works just fine.

Now that I'm going to set up two Backup servers with approximately 20 TB
of backup data and roughly 40 clients each I wonder how to prevent data
loss. In other words how do I prepare for a disaster? Meaning system and
data gone.

Simply rsyncing all folders to a nas or something and setting up a new
borg server won't work and two independent backups as suggested means to
much traffic for the network as well as for some clients. There is
simply not enough time for a double backup.

So, here comes my approach. I intend to use xen or better xcp-ng and on
top the actual borg server as a VM. Snapshots/exports will be made every
night and kept somewhere else. The data will be rsynced off the server
too. In case of a disaster I just need a similar or identical HW, set up
xen, import the saved VM and copy all the borg folders with the repos
back. That way I'd have data and corresponding borg server put together
again. Or I resurrect the server on some other xen host and access the
data via nfs which would be quicker in case of an urgent restore.

Do I miss something or does that sound feasible?

Thank for your thoughts,

Oliver