[Borgbackup] Borg vs. full/incremental backup

Zack Coffey clickwir at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 11:11:02 EDT 2021

Markus, to help with the routine maintenance of Borgbackup, I use
borgmatic. Have been for a few years and it's quite nice.
I was writing my own scripts to handle things, then found borgmatic and
that all pretty much went away. It's a really nice addition.

https://torsion.org/borgmatic/

As for 'bit rot', backup to a file system that offers check sum protection
as an extra layer beyond what Borgbackup does.
I backup to a 2 drive RAID1 with btrfs. Borgbackup has it's own consistency
checks, but so does btrfs.
There's also this nice script to help run regular maintenance on btrfs that
we use also.
https://github.com/kdave/btrfsmaintenance

You can choose to backup to 2+ locations or backup to one and then rsync it
to another location. I've used both methods, both have Pros/Cons.
My general preference is to let Borgbackup handle the multiple locations.

The old way of 'full/incremental' backups is a hold over of a long time
ago. It's still used but there are better ways.
The more modern way (which is very similar) of 'initial/update' is a more
fine tuned way. It's how we've been handling backups for over 15 years.
We don't do occasional full backups, it's a waste of time and resources.
The way Borgbackup handles this is a more modern and smarter approach.