[Borgbackup] Recreate segments after changing max_segment_size

Sebastian Felis sebastian at silef.de
Wed Jan 13 03:32:35 EST 2021

Hi,

first of all: Thank you so much for this awesome backup tool. It's
really a joy using it.

I have several borg repos with small segment sizes of 5 MB. I would like
to recreate the segments to a larger size for better repo backup with
rsync/rclone. I am aware of the recreate command and its documentation
and I am using borg 1.1.14 on debian buster.

A conversion was successful for a smaller repo with "recreate
--recompress always" after changing the max_segment_size. For my TB
sized media repo it seems to be a bit slow.

Without the option "--recompress always" the smaller segments are not
repacked to larger segments.

My questions:

1) What is the best way just to repack all chunks to a new segment size
for a repo?

2) Does the recreate command on a repo honor deduplication and repack
the unique chunks in segments only once? Even with "--recompress always"
option?

BR

Sebastian